- Don’t move wardrobes, drawers etc while full, you can break them. Only fill them when they are in place and fully assembled.
- Clothing and personal goods should be packed in strong secure cartons.
- Cushions should be wrapped in plastic.
- Where possible remove the legs from items of furniture e.g.. bed bases, tables etc. to avoid damage and save space.
- Vacuum food crumbs from lounges to prevent attracting vermin.
- Furniture shouldn’t be placed directly on the floor, use plastic or material to cushion heavy items.
- Stack chairs seat to seat with cloth or paper separating them.
- Place a cover over all furniture, especially sofa’s, recliners and anything of value.
- Make sure all white goods (fridges, freezers etc) are empty, clean and dry before storing.
- Leave doors slightly ajar to prevent mould build up.
- A deodoriser placed inside fridges or freezers is also a good idea to maintain freshness.
- If you pack items inside your fridges and freezers you scratch the insides or damage the shelving, best to leave them empty.
Glass and Breakables
- Wrap all breakable items separately in tissue or packing paper, box and ensure they are marked “Fragile”.
- Pack breakables in sturdy boxes.
- Protect fragile items by wrapping them individually in packing paper (newsprint can be very messy and possibly stain).
- Place packing in the top and bottom of cartons for added protection.
- Place plates, saucers and bowls on their sides to prevent any breakage.
- Empty space should be filled with packing paper.
- Ensure you haven’t stacked heavy items on top of cartons containing breakables.
- Pictures and mirrors should be wrapped in cardboard or proper picture/mirror cartons.
- The original boxes are ideal to repack in.
- Ensure all electronic equipment is clean and dry before storing.
- Ensure that items above or on top of electronic equipment will not fall down or damage the surfaces.
- If storing a refrigerator or freezer, be sure that the item is thoroughly dry and clean to prevent moisture and mildew from damaging any of your valuables. Store with the door slightly ajar.
- To minimise rust in metal items such as tools, wipe the item with a few drops of oil before storing them away.
- Pack these items away from goods that may be stained such as furniture.
- Wrapping silver in NON ACID tissue paper or plastic bags can help reduce tarnishing. Wipe chrome or cast iron with a little machine oil to help retard rust.